The construction of the various areas of Colonna palace spanned five centuries, resulting in the superimposition of different architectural styles, exterior and interior, interior lighting design, that characterise it and reflect the different eras. Colonna Palace is one of the largest and oldest private palaces in Rome. The design of the gallery dates back to 1872 with the project to enlarge Piazza Colonna and install the Chamber of Deputies in the nearby Palazzo di Montecitorio, in the square of the same name. It was inaugurated in 1922 as the Galleria Colonna, today known as the Galleria Alberto Sordi. The Galleria’s main façade towards Piazza Colonna is characterised by strong overhanging architectural styles typical of Mannerist architecture of the first half of the 20th century. A careful study of the original architectural and lighting design, together with the technological developments introduced over the years, led to the decision to maintain the overall conceived image. The refurbishment and lighting design of the Galleria included the re-functioning of the historical lighting fixtures and the creation of a light curtain, followed by lighting design modifications of the light sources for the interior lighting of the shops, which better harmonise with the more general lighting design. Lighting designer Castiglioni has been confronted with many architectural lighting projects subject to cultural constraints, such as the Imperial Forums in Rome where he collaborated with the Capitoline Superintendence for Cultural Heritage.
Orsay Museum where architecture became a big lighting device, the reflections of light bulbs with walls and ceilings create a uniform light without shadows. Groups of projectors in Grassi Palace recall a small football field. Here was born a new type of lighting device. Reflector lamps and articulated support gives life at the "Cestello". Spasa na Krovi is a perfection of Mantova project. Light beams aggregation allow the device size reduction and the dispersion light control.