The Public Palace is the heart of San Marino’s political life and history. The current building stands on the site where the old Palace called Domus Magna Comunis once stood. The new Government Palace was built between 1884 and 1894 to a design by Roman architect Francesco Azzurri, president of the Accademia di S. Luca in Rome, who designed it in the simple and severe style of the municipal palaces of the 13th and 14th centuries. The intentions of the project ‘in the purest communal style’ are illustrated by Azzurri himself, who stated: ‘… through its external and internal structure, the Palace wants to express the glorious past of the Republic, its firmness, its history, its modern structure … “The inauguration took place on 30 September 1894, and the speaker at the ceremony was Giosuè Carducci, who on that occasion gave his famous speech on “perpetual freedom”. It was later restored and refurbished by the internationally renowned architect Gae Aulenti, to adapt it to the renewed requirements of functionality and safety: the solemn inauguration took place on 30 September 1996. The façade is richly decorated with numerous symbols: the Coat of Arms of the Republic and of four Castles: Serravalle, Fiorentino, Montegiardino and Faetano. There are also icons of smaller localities acquired over the centuries by the Republic. The lighting deisgner Piero Castiglioni for the new lighting of all public and governmental interiors designed and built a new lighting device, inspired by a “cylindrical wrought iron cage containing a torch” positioned on the roof of the building: this new device, called “Cestello cilindrico” (cylindrical basket), later mass-produced by iGuzzini, houses twelve extra-low voltage halogen lamps with a controlled light beam that can be oriented both vertically and horizontally thanks to a cardan joint. Given the great flexibility and the possibilities that the luminaire offers, “Cestello cilindrico” was used for general and accent lighting in all public areas, passageways and decorated walls: it accompanies visitors from the portico, through the atrium and the monumental staircase, to the rooms housing the “Great and General Council” and the “Council of 12” in such a way as to define, emphasise and unify the official route.
Gae Aulenti Associated
Orsay Museum where architecture became a big lighting device, the reflections of light bulbs with walls and ceilings create a uniform light without shadows. Groups of projectors in Grassi Palace recall a small football field. Here was born a new type of lighting device. Reflector lamps and articulated support gives life at the "Cestello". Spasa na Krovi is a perfection of Mantova project. Light beams aggregation allow the device size reduction and the dispersion light control.